Chettinad Pepper Chicken by Vinayaka Vidhya cooked on
Prep time:30 Minutes | Cook time:40 Minutes | Total time:1hour 10Minutes Serve:3 (Servings) | Calories per serving:248 | Fat per serving:10 g Recipe Category: Chicken Recipe | Recipe Cuisine: Chettinad | Popular dish in South India (Tamil Nadu)
1. Clean the Chicken properly after dipping it in warm turmeric water for five minutes. Add 1 tbsp Chilli powder and ¼ tbsp Salt. (Salt is must for marination).
2. Add ¼ tbsp Turmeric powder and 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste. Mix it well to combine the mixture.
3. Heat up the pan, add 2 tbsp oil and allow it to heat well. Add Cumin seeds, Cloves, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Bay leaf, and Curry leaves.
4. Add onion and fry it until translucent. Add Ginger Garlic paste and stir it until the raw smell goes off. Add tomatoes and sauté until it get mushy.
5. Add ¼ tbsp Turmeric powder and1 tbsp Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder) and mix it well. Add ½ cup of water to it.
6. Reduce the flame to medium and close the pan. Cook it for 3 to 5 minutes or till the oil separates. Add the marinated Chicken pieces and combine it well. Close the pan and allow the Chicken to cook for 10 minutes. There will be enough water in the chicken so do not bother about adding more water to it. Open the lid and cook it for 15 minutes until the Chicken will let out the water completely.
7.Add the crushed peppercorns on top and combine it well. Finally sprinkle lemon juice on top of it after switching off the stove.
8. Serve it hot in a bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves.
#1: Use Kadai to cook, as it will give you the freedom you require.
#2: I am using cumin seeds as it will help for digestion.
#3: It goes well with all Biryani items. We had with Chicken Biryani.
Chettinad Pepper Chicken, is a popular dish in South India, particularly in Tamil Nadu. My hubby is a mad lover of Chicken Recipes. Chettinad Pepper Chicken is one of his favorites. Do try it out and you are welcome to post the pics here.