This recipe guide is first published in June 2016 issue of Writer's Ezine, my first step towards my dream of publishing my own cook book. Thank you, Writer's Ezine and Simran Kaur (Chotti) To view the magazine click below. To order the print, visit WE website.
Nothing can match the taste of homemade Sambar powder. It’s carefully crafted to perfection to satisfy the taste buds. It’s simple to make. Come let’s prepare this delicious important ingredient.
Prep time:5 Minutes | Cook time:10 Minutes | Total time:15 Minutes Serve:Depends on the usage Recipe Category: Ingredients | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian Cuisine
1. Heat up the pan well… one by one add chana dal, toor dal, moong dal and roast it for a minute preferably in low or medium flame. Keep it aside if you are making in large quantities.
2. One by one add rice, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds and roast till it becomes golden brown colour. Keep it aside if you are making in large quantities.
3. One by one add red chillies and curry leaves and roast it well. Keep it aside if you are making in large quantities.
4. Allow all the roasted ingredients to cool.
5. Transfer the roasted ingredients to a blender or a mixer grinders.
6. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder and grind until coarse powder but not finer.
7. Store it in an airtight container. (I prefer to make it fresh and daily)
This is what we made with this wonderful ingredient. The mouth-watering Shallots Sambar, also known as Chinna Vengayam Sambar.
#1: Roast all ingredients in low flame to avoid complete roasting.
#2: Prefer to prepare in large quantities and store in airtight containers. This will help working women in preparing tasty Sambar in a short while.
#3: Prefer to use asafoetida bar instead of powder as it gives out great aroma.
Sambar Powder, is a very important ingredient in any South Indian Family. It make Sambar, simply delicious. Do try it out and you are welcome to post the pics here.