Avaraikkai Kara Kolambhu (Broad beans Spicy Curry) - How-to?
Avaraikkai Kara Kolambhu by Vinayaka Vidhya cooked on
Prep time:20 Minutes | Cook time:20 Minutes | Total time:40 Minutes Serve:3 (Servings) | Calories per serving:96 | Fat per serving:3 g Recipe Category: Spicy Curry | Recipe Cuisine: Popular dish in South India (Tamil Nadu)
1. Heat up the pan, add 2 tbsp oil and allow it to heat well. Add mustard seeds, after it splatters, add cumin seeds and curry leaves, and fry it for a minute. Add onion and fry it until translucent.
2. Add 1 tbsp Vadagam and fry it for a minute. Add tomato, ¼ tbsp Turmeric powder and ½ tbsp Salt and mix it well. Sauté until it get mushy.
3. Add 1 Cup of Avarakkai and fry it for a minute. Add two cups of water, 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder, 1 ½ tbsp Coriander Powder, ½ tbsp Jeera powder and cook it well.
4. Add 1 Cup of Tamarind Water and cook until the oil comes up.
5. Finally switch off the stove and garnish with Coriander Leaves.
6. Serve it hot in a bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves.
#1: Add Chilli Powder after adding water and not anytime before. Otherwise, the powder will turn black.
#2: I am using cumin seeds as it will help for digestion.
#3: I am using Curry Leaves Powder in this dish. You can use either Curry Leaves or Curry Leaves Powder.
#4: Adding Vadagam gives a great flavor especially in south Indian dishes
#5: This dish goes well with Plain Rice, or Idly, or Dosa, mainly south Indian dishes.
Avaraikkai Kara Kolambhu, is a popular dish in South India, particularly in Tamil Nadu. It goes well with Rice. Do try it out and you are welcome to post the pics here.